Emulation Item Preview
- Publication date
Apple II, Atari 2600, Atari 5200, Atari 8-bit, ColecoVision, Commodore 64, DOS, TI-99/4A, VIC-20
Star Trek: Strategic Operations Simulator is an arcade action game where you take control of the Starship Enterprise. Your mission is to save the Federation from NOMAD! Before you get a chance at destroying NOMAD, you'll have to battle your way through ten levels (each consisting of multiple rounds). In each round you may encounter Klingon fighters, deadly anti-matter saucers, asteroid fields, and deadly meteors, all of which are capable of depleting the Enterprises energy. The game ends when your energy supply has completely run out. To fight these dangers, the Enterprise is equipped with an unlimited supply of phasers and a limited supply of photon torpedoes. Each round also contains one or more starbases; if you dock at a starbase, some of your supplies (such as energy and torpedoes) will be replenished. The game is played from two points of view; the top of the screen contains a third person view of the Enterprise (along with the ships gauges), and on the bottom of the screen is a first person point of view
From Mobygames.com. Original Entry
- 2014-09-16 23:53:17
- Apple II, Atari 2600, Atari 5200, Atari 8-bit, ColecoVision, Commodore 64, DOS, TI-99/4A, VIC-20
- Arcade, Shooter
- Sci-fi / futuristic
- Space flight
- Internet Archive Python library 0.7.0
Subject: Classic Mr Spock welcome!
Left & Right Arrow keys rotate the Enterprise ship.
Left Shift is Warp drive
Control key fires phasers
Alt key Photon torpedoes
Space bar accelerates with impulse drive.
I couldn't get USB game controller to work.
Impressed this classic vector graphics game is now emulated in Firefox browser. I remember sitting in the Captain's Chair at the arcade with a pocket full of tokens.
Crank up the speaker volume. LLAP
Subject: Sega does Vector and Nintendon't
Subject: A Comprehensive Guide to Winning:
By Dino T. Manzella
The Scanner is where you see an overhead view of the battlefield. With this The Enterprise is always at the center of the screen.
The Viewer is where you see actual "apparent 3D" images, as if you were looking out of the ships front window.
The Status Screen displays your score in addition to shield strength, number of photons remaining, and amount of warp energy remaining.
Left Hand Right Hand
O <- Course Thrust -> O O
Heading Photons -> O O
Navigational. (As a steering wheel)
Thrust : Ships impulse engines. This propels The Enterprise forward.
Phasers : These fire the ships phasers. Phasers are instantaneous, can only destroy one enemy at a time, and are in unlimited energy supply.
Photons : Require time to travel, can destroy many enemies, and are in limited supply. Displayed in the status screen, your photon supply appears as red bars (Squares)
Warp : For high speed, you may engage your warp drive. While this button is held down, your ship moves very quickly and cannot be damaged in any way by anything! A blue bar in the status screen shows the amount of warp
The Enterprise is shrouded by an automatic shield, which protects your ship from enemy fire and collisions. Shields are displayed in the status screen as green bars (Squares). Once the strength of the shields is depleted, the ship can sustain damage. When damaged, The Enterprise loses ship functions in this following order. Shields, Photons, Warp Drive. If all of these are damaged, the next hit will destroy the enterprise and end the game.
In order to repair damage, you may choose to dock with a starbase. Docking with a starbase is accomplished merely by flying into one. An unused starbase appears as a green square on the scanner. When docked, the viewer will display the word "DOCKED". At this moment, all damage is repaired, and a shield unit, a photon torpedo, and some warp power will be added to the ships supplies. Although only four of each supply unit can be displayed at one time, 255 can be collected.
• The primary enemy is the Klingon Battle Cruiser, which comes in three colors on the scanner.
• Red Klingon Ignores the Enterprise and sets forth to destroy a starbase, after which he turns purple.
• Purple Klingon Ignores starbases and attempts to destroy The Enterprise by firing plasma energy balls at it. After a certain period of time (depending on round), Purple Klingons turn white.
• White Klingon Sometimes known as "Maniac Klingons", these Klingons will engage their warp drives and attempt to ram The Enterprise.
• Anti-Matter Saucers appear as a blue circle on the scanner. They move about the screen in a confusing fashion. These saucers can only be destroyed with phasers. If the saucer collides with The Enterprise, it will attach itself, drain your ships warp energy, and then quickly leave.
• The Nomad: After a number of rounds, you will advance to the Nomad Round. In this sequence, the Nomad zips about the screen depositing dangerous mines. The mines cause chain reactions which should be avoided. The Nomad can only be destroyed with phasers. Once The Nomad has delivered a total load of 30 mines, it will wait for the last mine to detonate, then leaves the screen to end the round.
Klingons................25 + (round number X 25) points
Anti-Matter Saucer.........................5,000 points
Saved Used Starbase.........(round number X 250) points
Saved Unused Starbase.....(round number X 1,000) points
Every 10,000 points you are awarded a bonus shield, photon torpedo and warp energy.
Plasma Balls...................................1 shield
Klingon Collision..............................2 shields
Nomad Mine.....................................2 Shields
1) Kill the red Klingons first. They destroy your bases and you need them in order to survive a long game. Go after the purple Klingons next. Since all Klingons can only fire their plasma balls one at a time, circle around them until they fire a shot off at you, then turn on them and fire before they can reload. If you wait around too long, they will turn white and attempt a collision with The Enterprise. If you happen to engage many white Klingons at one time, Fire a Photon Torpedo at the closest one just before he rams you, the others should be destroyed in the blast.
2) Dock at all the bases on the first 9 screens. Docking at bases stock up shields and photons. (Even though you cannot see more than four of each on your status screen does not mean that they are not there). You will recognize the 10th screen because it always has 3 bases on it. From this screen and beyond, do not dock as every unused starbase still standing after each round is worth the current round number X 1000 points (10,000+ points). NOTE: For every 10,000 points you receive a bonus shield, photon and warp power -the same as if you docked. Not docking after the 9th round gives you the bonus of those three plus many more points.
3) To avoid using up shields. When you anticipate a hit, Depress the warp drive momentarily as The Enterprise becomes invincible during that time. NOTE: Warp power is in limited supply.
4) When firing a Photon Torpedo at a group of Klingons, warp through the center of it. This often makes the remaining Klingons lose their sights on you for a moment. NOTE: Photon Torpedo blasts do not damage The Enterprise.
5) To kill a Saucer, aim the stern (rear) of your ship at them while impulse engines are engaged (thrust button is depressed). When the Saucer comes within firing distance of your phasers, spin around and fire. NOTE I: The Saucer does not move unless your impulse engines are firing. NOTE II: You must have at least 1 Klingon left in order to be able to kill a Saucer. If all Klingons have been destroyed in a sector that has a saucer in it, the game will move on to the next round, and you will forfeit the potential 5000 points.
6) The Nomad can be killed easily without damage to The Enterprise if you stop and wait for him to come to you. Keep your phasers firing at all times towards his direction. Try not to hit any mines as they are not worth any points and sometimes cause major problems. If The Nomad has planted mines near you before you could shoot him, move to an empty area. Sometimes it becomes necessary to create an open area by destroying mines. BE CAREFUL!